Juniper Berry Crusted Tuna & Butternut Squash with Peppercorn Sauce by Manu
Lockdown lunch with Manu – Episode 8.
For the Tuna
- 2 x 200gr tuna steaks
- 30ml olive oil
- 30gr butter
- 40gr crushed black peppercorn (freshly crushed)
- 10gr crushed juniper berries (freshly crushed & finely chopped)
- 1 pouch of peppercorn sauce by Manu
For the Pumpkin
- 1⁄2 butternut squash pumpkin
- 30ml olive oil
- 3 sprigs of Lemon thyme
- 1 garlic clove (crushed in the skin) 50ml hot water
- 50ml Pouring cream
- 30grams Butter x 2
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the oven at 160 C
- Peel & de-seed the pumpkin, then cut the pumpkin in half where the seeded part and the full part joins. Using an apple corer, pierce the full part of the pumpkin to get small cylinder shape pieces and set them aside, cut the left overs into rough pieces, place the off cuts on a roasting tray layered with baking paper, drizzle with olive oil salt & pepper and place in the oven and cook until soft but not coloured.
- Now put water, cream and 30grams of butter into a saucepan, bring to simmer, place the roasted pieces of pumpkin into a blender, pouring the cream mixture in bit by bit until you obtain a smooth and silky puree and season with salt and pepper, empty in a small saucepan and set aside to keep warm.
- For the cylinder bits of pumpkin, place a frying pan onto a medium heat, drizzle with olive oil, add in the 30gr of butter, thyme, and crushed garlic, then add in the pumpkin pieces and pan roast them until golden brown and cooked but still slightly firm, set aside to keep warm.
- For the tuna, mix the crushed pepper and juniper together and roll the 2 tuna steaks in the pepper mix.
- In a frying pan add the oil and the butter, when the butter is foaming add tuna steaks and cook for about 2 minutes or until you obtain a brown crust, take the steaks out of the pan and rest on a plate.
- Pour the peppercorn sauce by Manu into a saucepan, bring to boil and set aside.Bon Appetit!!!